Friday, June 17, 2011

A word from the front lines... 05 (Lyndon Reinford)

Last night the midnight to 8 was a quiet shift. We had 10 patients overnight. It can seem like there’s not a whole lot that happens on the night shifts outside of the ordinary; getting everyone to drink their ORS, emptying and cleaning the pails, and changing diapers… One night Vickson (one of the guards) wanted us to teach him English songs, and we were happy to do so.

One of our patients is one of deacon Dodo’s sons. During my shift last night, one of his younger brothers came in with a broken wrist! The nurses splinted it for him, and sent him to TG to have a cast put on.

A scene of the night shift at the CTC...
When I left my afternoon shift yesterday to spend the evening with my sister in Terre Rouge, one of the guards asked me if I would be returning for my next shift after the dark. When I replied that I would, he wondered if I wasn’t afraid of the devil (Haitians do not like to be out after dark). I told him that I wasn’t afraid because I have Jesus with me. There was a man, a patient in the CTC, standing there listening, nodding his head and agreeing with what I was saying. When I got back for my shift later that evening, some of the CTC staff were sitting up on the roof singing, and later they told me that that they found out that this man was a witchdoctor! We had a special time of prayer for him, and we would appreciate if you would also join us in prayer for him. Pray that God would reach him through this experience.


The work is not often very pleasant, but it is so rewarding to see the cholera patients come in barely even able to hold their own heads, and a few days later walk out of there perfectly fine.

Thank you for your interest and prayers!
                  -Lyndon Reinford

No comments:

Post a Comment