Monday, June 13, 2011

A word from the front lines... (Kayla Kauffman 01)



Kayla Kauffman, CTC nurse
      I sit here, trying to stay somewhat cool and relax. With bugs crawling across my computer screen, I begin my writing, as I have been told it is my turn to tell you all my insights of working in the Cholera Treatment Center.
      We have our stretching moments, and humorous moments.  Having a dear Down's Syndrome boy steal his neighbor's re-hydration bottle, or remove his clothes, or bath in his Oral re-hydration solution, surely makes us laugh. :-)  I think he's still sweet though. When we have someone soil their bed instead of getting on 'the bucket', it makes us breath deep and smile, suppressing our temptation to be irritated. We all enjoy our duties (at least most of them) knowing we are helping people. Even if we don't know their language we can still show them the love of Christ through our actions.
     Night Duty can get a little boring at times, when all the patients are sleeping, and their caretakers are trying not to. :-) Even though we don't have much to do, we sometimes get lost in our own little worlds and forget about IVs. That just means some of us are pros are getting them started again.

     Some of my favorite patients have been a couple little girlies of 1 and 2 yrs of age. I kind of took a special interest in them. It doesn't bother me if I have to change a dozen diapers; those innocent brown eyes looking up at me, and the preciousness of a sweet smile are plenty rewarding in themselves!
   -Kayla Kauffman


Below are some pictures from last night's watch...

No comments:

Post a Comment