Saturday, June 25, 2011

A word from the front lines... 12 (Thea Hamann)

   Greetings once again from the CTC in Allegre,


   A bright spot for me in the past few days has been a little 3 1/2 year old girl. She came in Tuesday afternoon, dehydrated and rather lethargic. An IV was put in and she slowly began the turn around to recovery. Everyone thought she was rather stubborn and uncooperative as she would not drink well for anyone, and was quite the little grump. Then one time after having removed her IV and cleaned her after several accidents I decided to just hold her for a while. I went about doing things with her in my arms until she fell asleep. That was the turning point. She was all mine after that. 

   I would come out of the office door or turn from a bedside and find her out of her bed and over at my side waiting for me to pick her up. She would laugh and smile for me and was totally heartbroken when I would leave her to do something else. When I would offer her a drink she would often turn her head away with a little grin and act like she would not drink and then she would turn back, grab the bottle and drink away.

   It was so special to see her responding and see her response to love. She would often put her hands on my face, look me in the eyes and give a happy smile, then she would hug me and lay her head down on my shoulder. 

   This morning after dressing her and giving her to her mother so they could go home, I said good-bye and told her that I was going. She let out a whimper, slid off her mother's lap and came running back to me again. Thankfully she didn't put up a big fuss and settled with the idea of going back to her mommy, for which I was rather glad as I didn't want a big scene to deal with. All in all she was a very special blessing to me the few days that she was here, and I pray that she could be shown the true love of Christ as she goes on through life.

   Please pray for her family and especially her 12 year old sister, Marie Catherine. She was here most of the time as caretaker for her little sister and became my fast friend. The moment she arrived she was watching my every move and smiling every time I would look her way. Other people and patients were commenting and saying; "She really likes you." "She wants to be your friend." "You should talk to her." etc. etc. We had sort of a forced meeting, with both of us standing there not quite sure what to say to each other, but, after it was over we were just friends. She was given one of the little Bible story books. "101 Favorite Stories From the Bible." She seemed to cherish it very dearly and often I would see her sitting and looking at the picture of Jesus on the cross. When her mother came this morning she took the book to her, showing her the same picture and asking her some questions. Please, Please... Pray that the seeds that were planted in the few short days that they were here could take root and bring forth fruit. There is nothing that I desire more or that would make me happier than to one day know that they are walking with the Lord and serving Him with all their hearts. Dedicated and committed to His call and work.

   Their mother said that she was going to be coming to church on Sunday. "May the Word of God reach into her life while her heart is soft."

   Thanks to each and everyone of you for your prayers on our behalf, you support is very much appreciated and because of you we are able to make a difference here!!! May the Lord richly bless you all. 

Serving my King, 
~Thea Hamann

No comments:

Post a Comment