Friday, August 5, 2011

The Tropical Storm that wasn't...

    As you all probably know, Emily was due to visit us yesterday.  
    Preparations for lots of rain and wind were done on Wednesday, some late into the night, and then we went to bed.  
    I had to go on shift at midnight, there were three patients in the CTC.  Steve came over to check on things before going to bed, and as the patients were all nearly totally recovered, he instructed me to wake them up at 4:00am and send them home around 5:00am - if it wasn't raining.  So, at 4:00, I proceeded to rouse my sleeping patients and tell them that a cyclon was coming and they needed to go home before the rain came.  
    Well, at 4:15, it started raining.  
    The patient's caretakers came and started talking at me, and it was really frustrating not being able to understand them. I got the gist that they couldn't go because it was dark and they had no flashlight, and they would get wet.  So I told them they could stay for now but if the rain stopped they had to go.  Thankfully the rain let up around 4:45 and I told the people it was time to go.  I gave them my flashlight (they all lived in one area), but they were still very concerned about getting wet.  
    I stood there wracking my brain, trying to think of something I could give six people and a baby to keep them dry.  My eyes fell on a surgical gown that was lying on the shelf- and the lights came on!  Those things are water proof!  Thank you Lord!  I dug six out of a box, and tied them on my wondering patients.  I told them it was for the rain; I'm not sure they believed me!  They didn't protest though, and after wrapping up the baby, I sent them on their way.  
    I didn't really believe they would get home before the storm started, but I had just read again the promise that "if you ask in faith, believing, you will receive".  So I prayed that God in His almighty power would hold back the storm till the people got home.  God is good!  Hour after hour went by with no rain!  
    I came off shift at 8:00am, and went over to Steve's house, and he said the storm slowed way down and was kind of sitting out over the ocean.  I don't think that it was my prayer alone that stopped the storm, but I do believe it was the combination of all the prayers prayed by those who are interested and involved in the work in Haiti!  Later on, Steve said the storm disintegrated, it just wasn't any more!  The winds still obey His will!  
    I do wonder though just what my patients are thinking right now.  "That white Mis at the CTC was crazy!  She woke us up and sent us home in the dark, dressed up in funny clothes, saying there was a cyclon coming, and it hardly rained, to say nothing of the wind."  
    Oh, well, I don't care, I'm just glad there was no storm! 
    Keep on praying for us here as we strive to serve God and be a light to those in darkness.
    God is still powerful, and works even through mortals like us.  Isn't that amazing?
--
For His Glory,

Virginia

2 comments:

  1. Great article! Love to see you guys keeping us updated on Haiti information. God bless you all.

    http://www.mannaforhaiti.com
    http://www.mfhcm.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. That story really made me laugh Virginia! That's using the old noggin! And prayer does change things - that is for certain. Stay safe!

    -Will

    ReplyDelete