Monday, August 29, 2011

Three down, one to go!

Good evening!!

Today we were able to release the three patients we had in the CTC! All were doing well enough to send home, so we are rejoicing very much!

I do have a confession to make... during the photo shoot for the last post (posted here on the 27th), i was minding my own business and snapping pictures of the patients, when Steve said,

"Hey Nate, why don't you take a video of them putting the IV in??"

Hey, that sounds like a good idea. Then we can put it onto the blog, and people can have a real, live video of what it's like for our staff to place an IV into someone!

Great idea... until i started to record it.

Here's where the confession comes in; I absolutely cannot stand needles which stick into human beings. It gives me the chills to think about shots, vaccines, and things like that. If I need blood work done, I can guarantee I'll have a sick stomach by the end...

So, you can just imagine that as I began watching and recording the operation, my blood began to run a little thin... Jared stuck the needle... I felt week... he began probing around for the blood vessel... I began to get sick... the woman winced as he moved to another vein and continued to probe... my blood went cold... he pulled out the needle, as the blood began to clot... the world began to slightly revolve, and my vision began to blur...

Now, I'm sure I would have been able to at least SURVIVE the first round, but the problem was Jared had to move to the other arm, since the blood vessels were sunken and shrunk from dehydration.

As they cleaned up the mess from the first try, I stopped the camera and backed away. Someone asked if I was ok, and I said "yeah" and went into the other room to find a chair...

On my way my vision almost completely whited out, and my mind was spinning. I decided everyone will just have to settle for pictures, not a video :) :) Try as I might, I am still unable to watch :) :)

Thus, with my confession over with, here are some pictures of a lady that was rushed over this morning. She was severely dehydrated, so they took her in and immediately put her on a couple IVs.

They were in such a hurry, I didn't get there soon enough to take pictures as they came in...

Once again we can see the concerned family and friends waiting outside the gate.

Another crude stretcher resting on the compound grounds; evidence of another Cholera victim...

You can see how very dehydrated she is by her sunken eyes.

As I took pictures, she didn't even look over at me...

Virginia too down her name and other pertinent information.

Faithful Jared, keeping his post!

At least the view is beautiful from up there!

Sometimes the shift can get long if there's not much to do...
Good job Jared!!
This evening she is doing better, but she's not out of the woods yet. Please keep on praying for her!

Also, recently we have been feeling the deep need of spiritual revival here. Please pray that the Haitians here would be brought to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, and that those who are already in the family of God would be revived and brought into closer fellowship with the the Crucified One. Pray for us, that we would live exemplary lives before them, and that we too would be enabled to minister, not just in these physical ways, but in that which will endure throughout the eternal ages to come.

God bless you all for praying!

-Nate

No comments:

Post a Comment