Saturday, September 3, 2011

End of August Update!

The last few days...
Tuesday morning I got a call on the radio from Virginia, asking if I would stop by the CTC before I headed down to  clinic for the day. Upon arrival I saw a couple little children and several men and women sitting outside in observation. I wondered what was going on. After all, "Cholera couldn't be coming back could it?" Virginia looked up at me as I walked in and tiredly says. "You can stay and work here while I go in for a bit. Can't you?" I took over for her, and told Anita I would not be going down to clinic this morning. We ended up admitting two of the guys that were sitting outside, because they continued to vomit everything they would drink. We put IV's in and of course like normal that perked them up rather quickly, and by evening they were sitting up holding a very good conversation and giving me a hard time about whether they would drink for me or take their medicines. 
The one 11 month old child we decided needed admitted even tho' we were not sure that it really had Cholera. He was having some diarrhea and was vomiting every time he drank and growing more lethargic with each passing minute. After watching him for a while we decided that he really must have an IV and Virginia set to work at doing that. It took a few tries and a bit of encouragement from the rest, before she finally was able to set a good one and start the fluids running. We always breath a sigh of relief and the room echoes with, "Thank you Jesus!" and "Praise the Lord!" after things like that. Putting IV's in babies is rather stressful on all of us, and especially so when you only have a couple sizes of IV catheters. You can't just decided to use a smaller one for a very young dehydrated child when you have no other options. :) The Lord has been so good to us and many times I believe He has simply took our hands and put the IV in for us. What a wonderful God we serve.
Today around noon we were able to send the two guys home along with the lady that has been here for the past few days. Once again we are down to just two people over there. I  want to share the highlight of my day today... When we were ready to release them along with several others from observation that didn't need to stay. We had called them all outside and after giving them their stuff along with all the instructions on what to do and how much to drink for the next few days. I told them, "You can all go home." One of them looked at me and said, "You will pray for us before we go. Right?" I was a bit shocked at hearing such a request from one of the patients, but was more than glad to hear it. I told one of our friends standing by that he should pray for them. He said; "No!" I said: But I can't pray in creole." He informed me that that was just fine I could pray in English then. One of the members of the waiting group then spoke up and saying. "Yes, It is fine with us if you pray in English God will understand the same even if we don't."  Yes, We had a special time of prayer, and I wished them all Gods blessing as they left. There were many heartfelt thanks, tipped hats, broad smiles, and cries of "Mis, Bondye Beni Ou." (Nurse, God bless you.) As the happy, thankful group walked through the gate.
Please pray with us that God would continue to work in the hearts of the people, and that in everything we do and say, we would be mindful of showing forth the love and way of our Master. May the seeds that were planted in the few short days they were here go with them and someday bear much fruit. May the Lamb that was slain receive the reward of His suffering. Pray that I would not pass by the opportunities that the Lord sends my way, but use them to encourage others and further his kingdom.
~Serving my Savior, Thea H.


~~~~~~~~~



Yesterday was crazy.  In the morning I went over to the CTC around 7, because Jared came and said the lady that was over there during the night had bent her arm and the IV line was full of clotted blood.  So I went over to restart it.  I tried to get a new IV going, but blew the vein. Then - Ding Dong, the bell rang.  I just took off the line and flushed the catheter!  It started running like a hose!  Jared left because he had been on shift all night, and I planned to go eat breakfast after I changed the lady's wet gown.  Well, by the time I got that done, another person with cholera came.  And another, and another, till we had four people in the fish tank.  I was about to pull hair because two of them were babies, one 11 months, and the other 2 years old.  The other two were men, and they both threw up after I gave them their medicine.  I called Thea to please come over and help as I was feeling very overwhelmed.  I went and ate breakfast while Thea kindly took care of things.  We ended up admitting the men, and putting IV's in them both.  I had to admit the 11 month old as well, because he kept throwing up.  

I tried to give him medicine three times, and he threw up within 15 min every time!  I looked for a vein several times because he seemed slightly dehydrated, and always opted out of doing it because I could NOT see anything!  He was nursing fairly well, so I told the mom not to give him any ORS, just nurse him, and if he didn't throw up again, I wouldn't need to put an IV in.  About an hour and a half later, she came and said he thew up all over her.  He had.  So, I started praying really hard and looking for veins.  I started in his feet, as I couldn't see anything in his hands or arms.  My hands were shaking as I stuck both his feet successively, I blew one vein and infiltrated the other.  Then I prayed even harder and moved to his elbow.  I tried a vein I could feel but not see, and infiltrated it.  By this time my knees were shaking too, I was kneeling beside the bed.  There was another vein I could see in the same elbow, but it looked really small.  I hadn't much hope of getting it.  I prayed desperately for God to guide the needle, and slid it in. Blood ran out of the catheter, and then the fluid ran in FULL BORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Praise the Lord!  It was in, and it was in GOOD!  The rest of the day was better as we just had to keep up IV and bucket maintenance.  Allison worked with me all day, and in the morning Thea and Rachel were both over to help with the laundry and admitting and such.  I'm very glad they were there to help me! So, the CTC looked like one again, with a ward full of patients.  I'm praying it doesn't keep up! 
Today started fairly busy, we had a man come in at five this morning with diarrhea.  We treated him and then sent him home at noon, along with the two men from yesterday, the old lady, and the 2 year old boy.  It was a mass exodus!  It felt so much better to have only one person in the fish tank, and the little baby.  I'm not sure what the little boy has, he still has diarrhea and vomits every time he drinks anything other than milk.  We kept him on his IV, and will see what tomorrow brings.
Please pray that this influx of new patients is over and that cholera would totally die out. We need your prayers and support, so please keep us in mind!  God bless you all!
-- 
For His Glory,
*
*
*Virginia*




No comments:

Post a Comment