Friday, July 22, 2011

Doing my job at the CTC ;)

Hello to all once again!

What do I write about this time?? Ummm…

A couple nights ago I was on the midnight to eight shift, and I was just about to walk through the Grand CTC Gate to the inside, when on the outside I noticed a bucket with a kevet on top exactly as such used in the CTC for vomiting and other like purposes.  I decided I probably wouldn’t (or shouldn’t) go and take the kevet off the bucket with my bare hands to see what was inside, so I went through the gate and in to the nurses’ station and told the other girls (Amanda, Kirsche, and Thea) about it, and they said to me, “well, get a pair of gloves on and go see what’s inside the bucket!”, so I did!…I pulled on a pair of Latex gloves and off I went to get that bucket which did NOT belong out there and solve the mystery of what was on the inside…I went back out through the gate, got to the bucket, took a breath and held it (just in case…you never know what’s going to be inside a bucket with a kevet on top!), then lifted the kevet off and “OH EEEHH!!” There was a humongous tarantula in the bottom of the bucket that someone had found and was “saving” there…  I tell you I put that kevet back on top of the bucket very fast! I went back into the CTC to report my findings to the girls, only to find them standing outside listening to my reaction very amused by it all. Humph. Next time I’ll make them do all the dirty work…! ;)

Things have been slowing down once again at the CTC…right now we have 4 patients here and 3 of them are on IVs…we have one more out in a tent that we’re just keeping an eye on for now, so things are a bit boring over here at the moment…but just watch out! Normally it seems when we say things like that, pretty soon a whole herd of people come in with cholera and keep us on our toes.

One night Kirsche and I were in the nurses’ station (otherwise known as the storage room) and we were trying to keep our minds busy so we wouldn’t fall asleep…I was just about  ready to start reading my Bible, Kirsche was listening to music or something,Vickson (one of the CTC guards) came in and said something like “you have cell phones, you have camewas, you have books to wead, but me, I have noffing! Noffing to do wift my time.” So I asked him if he would like to read a “25 Bible Stories” book, and his face got all lit up and he was like “Yes! Thankyou!” Then I asked the other guard if he knew how to read too, and he said he did, and then I asked if he wanted one to read as well, and he got a real big smile on his face and he said “Wi, mesi!”…that kept them busy for a while anyways until Vickson got distracted by a sermon playing out loud and then I think he gave his book away to listen to the message because a little bit later I walked out onto the porch, and there standing under the light was the dad of one of the cholera patients, just poring over one of those little Bible story booklets…that was pretty exciting to see!
 
Sunday everyone except for Anita, Kirsche, and I went to the orphanage for the evening. We had a good time practicing on each other with IV needles back at the CTC…it was a lot of fun and good practice on small and disappearing veins! I think about all of us have some pretty colorful wrists to show for it too. :) Anita poked Kirsche and then we got her hooked up to a small IV bag as you can see on the picture.:)

I guess that time I found a few things to write about huh?! I guess it’s time to close!
God bless each one of you for praying for these people here.

His Servant,
~Meredith Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment