Friday, July 1, 2011

A word from the front lines... 13 (Katie Jo Kauffman)

  Working at the CTC has been enjoyable, for the most part. The children make up for whatever else befalls,  I felt as if I received a rather "sudden immersion" method of what nursing can really be made up of. There was one lady who was particularly trying. She was on a cholera bed, which is a high cot with a hole in the center for the incompetent people to use, if they can't get off their bed to use the bucket. Well she was always flipping this way or that way making her gown a frightening wreck, and not really caring about modesty or anything. Thea and I had to clean her up more than once.  That was trying, but in the next room there were two little children, a brother and sister, who were the most darling things, and the little girl even was helpful in getting her clothes and things off, when I needed to clean her up. I felt as if taking care of them was "therapy" for dealing with the other lady, but the lady on the cholera bed always said Thank You, for everything, and that was an encouragement. Even when she left she said Thank you. That really made up for all the personal heartache I endured while providing her with care. :)

 The little boy and little girl's mother, I got a complete charge out of. Yesterday morning she was trying to tell me that her daughter was a mess, and I needed to clean her up. I wasn't getting the point, so she grabbed me by the arm, and took me to the bedside and pointed with my arm. I about laughed out loud, it amused me so. I was rather sad when they left, for I really enjoyed their little family.

 We had another little girl, who, while sitting outside,  took her IV bag down,and set it on the chair beside her. It filled with blood all the way up to the drip chamber!! Needless to say the shift leader was not impressed!! He took the IV out, and thankfully the little girl didn't need it anymore, and he didn't have restart the IV.

  It is my hope and prayer that the people who are treated in the CTC will come away with at least some knowledge of God in their hearts. Even though the majority of the staff cannot speak their language fluently, they can still be a witness  for Christ by their actions and attitudes.
   -Katie Jo Kauffman

No comments:

Post a Comment