Friday, July 15, 2011

"Ou Bezwen Bwen!"

Hello again to all! :) 

This morning Kirsche and I were on shift from 12-8...and I even had Ella Mae Hostetler convinced to come out and help keep us "awake"...as you can see in the picture that Kirsche took of Ella Mae and I under the blanket. Our eyelids were just starting to feel like suitcases were tied underneath, and after awhile of fighting that feeling, you eventually have to at least "rest your eyes" alittle, so that's what we were doing under the blue blanket where no insects could fly in and eat us up. At the moment there was nothing else to do! All the IV bags were taken care of, the buckets emptied, etc. and I had done all the doodling I could doodle, and had gotten almost all the way caught up with my Bible reading. :)  So anyhow, we were peacefully resting our eyes under the blanket, and all of a sudden Kirsche came in and announced that there was a stretcher on the way! Whoa...we both fought away the blanket so fast and jumped to our feet in a scramble! I don't know if I ever woke up so fast before...I mean stopped resting my eyes so fast...I mean......anyways!
 So we went outside and sure enough pretty soon a big group of Haitians came with a young man on a stretcher and Wilmon started shouting out orders to get the cot ready, and the supplies for washing down our new patient...we all rushed around to get everything ready and then Virginia came to give him an IV...he seemed like he was half out of it and didn't have enough strength to sit up by himself to drink his PED.  After several attempts by myself and Virginia to get an IV into his vein which always seemed to disappear whenever the needle was poked in, Virginia managed to get it in right and we hooked him up to an IV bag. He's doing much better now, just a few hours later, and can even get up out of his cot by himself.  

The picture of Kirsche and I has a little story...:) 
Kirsche told me she had some extra scrubs in the house, so I was like, "ok, do you mind borrowing one to me for working in the CTC?" she said sure and she'd go get it..so in she went and out she came with this scrub top and big pictures of cats all over it...and I actually put it on, then somehow people started calling me gramma, and then certain people started singing or referring to a song about being "allergic to cats". But it made me feel a whole lot better when a couple days later Thea showed up at the CTC with a Christmasy type scrub top on and with big SNOWmen all over it...ha! ;) 
 
This morning five of us girls that had off work went on a little hike up the mountain...that was so refreshing! The view was so neat and we had a perfect view of the mission compound. :) 

Right now we have a group of cholera patients out there in the CTC that drink, and drink and drink and drink! whoa! Sometimes we can hardly keep up with their input (and output too, I might add!). Hey and that ORS stuff does NOT taste good at all...I know because I tried it once, just a little cupful of it. Oh...was it ever salty! I didn't want to waste it, so I drank the rest that I had poured into my cup. I licked my lips awhile later (must've gotten thirsty), and all I tasted was SALT. :-/ Poor people...they have my sympathies! But they know "Ou bezwen bwen, bwen, bwen!" (You need to drink, drink, drink!) in order to get better. But anyhow, the group of people out there right now are especially good drinkers, and they're really funny about it too...they'll gulp down their last swallow or two of ORS and then look up with a grin or chuckle and hold out their bottle to be refilled!

Anyhow there's just another little tid bit of news about some of the stuff that goes on around here...:) 

God bless each one as you shine your Light for Him where ever He's placed you. Thank you for praying! 

~Meredith Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment