Sunday, July 17, 2011

Things WERE slowing down!

Bang, bang, bang... "Virginia, you need to come put an IV in!"  That's what I woke up to at 1:00 am this morning.  I was so confused as I got up, wondering why they were calling me.  It took me till I was going out the door to realize I was supposed to be on shift already!  I had slept through my alarm, something I thought I wouldn't do.  I went on over and here was a 40-something year old man terribly dehydrated, ice cold, with his eyes rolled up in his head.  I started praying as I attempted to start his IV.  It took several tries till I got it going, but it wasn't flowing fast enough.  


So I got out the blood pressure cuff and wrapped it around the bag, and pumped it up.  That did the trick, as long as the man kept his arm straight.  His IV was in the crook of his elbow.  He had a bad stomach ache so he was thrashing and moaning.  So I sat with him for a couple of hours holding his arm straight and letting the fluid do its work.  I am so thankful for IV fluids!  If we didn't have it, so many of these people would die!  The man was moaning and groaning so I asked him if he knew Jesus.  He said yes, and I reminded him the He was with him now.  After that he was praying along with his moaning.  After about 4 hours, 2 doses of Pepto Bismol, and 4 liters of fluid, he was able to fall asleep.  I was able to read a my Bible for a little while till around 7:00 am when I heard a crowd coming down the road.  In though the gate is carried another seriously dehydrated, ice cold man!  Thankfully his IV wasn't as hard to get started.  I came off shift at 8:00 am, but I heard that there were at least 13 people that came in today.  Most were treated and released, but there are currently five admitted and two in the observation tent.  Hopefully this is not another upswing in patient numbers.  I realize that people need help if they are sick, but I hope that there aren't a lot that get sick! 

Other things are happening here besides life at the CTC.  The other afternoon I got to go down to the clinic and assist Anita with a delivery.  There is nothing quite like holding a brand new baby!  It was a little girl and she is so cute and tiny- 5 lbs 6 oz!  

One last picture for you- this little boy was in a while ago, and when he was better but not well enough to go home I gave him a piece of cardboard and a pen.  He carried it around all morning, and would sit down and scribble and then come and show me or someone else.  He was so sweet!

Blessings to you all and please keep us in your prayers!
For His Glory,
 
Virginia


No comments:

Post a Comment