Saturday, July 2, 2011

A word from the front lines... 14 (Amanda Sensenig)

Well, I just got here a few days ago, but for some reason they decided it's my turn to write an update, so I'll do the best I can. The day after I came happened to be my team member's (Thea) day off, so I had time to catch up on sleep before I started in the CTC. Before I started I thought it might be pretty bad emptying buckets and caring for sick patients. But to tell the truth, I do really enjoy it, especially since most of the patients have been children since I'm here. They are so cute and fun to take care of! 
There were a few that were extra special to me. The one was an eleven-year-old girl who seemed to take a liking to me right away even though I hardly speak any Creole. She always wanted to touch me and had a ready smile. I wasn't here when she came in, but I heard she was very sick. When I started working she didn't have her IV anymore and was walking around some. Another one was a little 18 month old girl, she was adorable and I tried holding her but she didn't want me to. After a while her mother just came and handed her to me and thankfully she didn't cry and was soon asleep, later on her mother gave the baby to me while she rested, so I put a clean gown on her and carried her around for about an hour, she was so sweet. 
This morning Michael came and released a bunch of patients. In a way I was a little sad to see them go, but it's special to see that they are better and ready to go home. I gave my friend a granola bar and took some pictures with her before she left. It's kind of funny how much ORS the patients drink when they want to leave, they think it's their ticket to get them home. Our eleven-year-old drank 4 or 5 liters this morning, by 8:00!(then she went home) Also the nine month old baby that nearly died left for home this morning, her parents really loved her and were so happy she was better!
Another highlight is singing on the roof, it helps pass time for the ones on duty and is a blessing for everyone.
As of this morning, there were only a few patients, but it's been raining today and the others said it gets busier after rain, so we'll see how the next few days go. I'm looking forward to working in the CTC more, as I've only had three shifts so far. I'm very thankful the Lord brought me here and trust He will work in my life while I'm here and also help us all be a witness for him to all those who come to the CTC.
His lowly servant,
-Amanda Sensenig

No comments:

Post a Comment